If you’re craving some delicious coffee, you’ve come to the right place! Cold brew is one of the simplest ways to get your caffeine fix.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Coarsely Ground Coffee – This can be pre-ground, but grinding coffee fresh is your best bet for delicious coffee.
- Water – This can be tap water, but filtered water can make a huge difference when brewing coffee. It’s most of your coffee after all! We like to use Brita filters as they leave just enough minerals in the water for quality extraction.
- Milk – We prefer Oatly’s Oat Milk, but cow, almond, soy, pea, coconut, flax, rice, and hemp all impart their own unique flavors. Try out different combos and get creative!
- A Container – You can use almost anything when brewing your coffee, but we LOVE this Takeya Cold Brew Maker! It’s simple and easy to clean. You can also use mason jars if you’ve got those on hand.
- Sweetener – If you’re like us, you enjoy your coffee a bit sweet. Just like your milk, sweeteners can totally change the flavor of your coffee. Our favorites are maple syrup, brown sugar, and blue agave.
- Filters – If you really want to take away as much bitterness and harshness as possible, after brewing your coffee, running it through a filter will remove most of those oils and acids. We love the CoffeeSock and EBB Coffee Filter because they’re significantly more sustainable and less wasteful than traditional paper filters.
Combine your coffee grounds and water in your container. Make sure the container is properly sealed and shake it up to fully immerse the coffee grounds. Set the container aside and let it steep for at least 12 hours, that’s it!
Over those 12 hours, the coffee slowly dissolves into the water, creating a strong, concentrated cup of coffee without the bitterness or harshness you might expect with coffee brewed traditionally with hot water.